



I decided that if I didn't have an iphone, I really probably would never blog anything I did. So, yay for iphones. Moving on..
We are having a "Simple & Sweet B-day Desserts" at school tomorrow for all the July birthdays. I told one of the girls I would make her a chocolate cake for her, and so here it is; my first homemade chocolate cake. I have to admit though, I got lazy and just used the frosting you can buy at the store. At least the cake is original though, right? Well, I decided to get crafty, and decorate the cake, and it turned out looking like a porcupine/mess. That's what you get when you try to decorate a cake at 10:30 at night I guess. But, there you have it; another day in the life of Roo. I am going to post the recipe below in case you guys wanna make your own chocolate cake.
Makes one 8-inch double-layer cake
- Unsalted butter, softened, for pans
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch cocoa powder, plus more for pans (I used Hershey's cocoa powder)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil (I used Canola oil)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 8-inch round cake pans (2 inches deep); dust with cocoa. Sift cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of a mixer. Beat on low speed until just combined. Raise speed to medium, and add eggs, buttermilk, water, oil, and vanilla. Beat until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Divide batter between pans. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes. Turn out from pans. Transfer, faceup, to wire racks. Let cool completely.
- Spread 2 cups chocolate frosting onto top of 1 cooled layer. Top with remaining layer; frost top and sides with remaining 2 cups frosting.

3 comments:
No way, it looks great! I want a bite....
And major props for going the homemade route. It's so much better than boxed and not that much more effort.
Okay, seriously? The cake looks SO GOOD! Your decoration is fun but I'm only thinking: "Pass me the fork!" XOXO (and p.s.: I can't make a good homemade chocolate frosting, but agree with Andrea that scratch cake is always better. Way to go! And you should have seen MY first home baked cake. Then again, it's good you didn't!)
Wow Randi!! That looks amazing and I'm sure it tasted awesome!
Post a Comment