Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Punchinello



Yesterday, Rich's car overheated, so I drove to meet him, where we eventually ended up in his work parking lot. While I sat in my car keeping warm, Rich was under the hood working away, a man in a van pulled into the parking lot, got out, and starting walking towards Rich. I have to admit, I was totally sketched out, and I am pretty sure Rich was as well, considering he works in the most sketchy part of town, and usually people that approach you want money. The man started talking to Rich about his car, and told him that he had some old wheels from his 2002 BMW in his car, and asked if Rich wanted them. I am totally torn at this point, because I don't know what to think about this man. Then the man turned just enough that I could see the front of his face, and then it got really weird. The poor man looked like he had two golfballs on both sides of his nose just below his eyesockets, which made his eyes far apart. It seriously was the weirdest thing ever! All sudden the story of Punchinello popped into my head because the puppet in the story looks exactly like this guy did (see picture above).
The story is called "You are Special" by Max Luncendo. You really should read the story yourself because it really does teach you a lot about not judging other people.
After that man left, I was left with such a great feeling. I am not saying that I am going to start trusting people all over Salt Lake, but I shouldn't have judged that man so quickly. I am greatful for the reminded lesson and his thoughtfulness.

2 comments:

Tayva said...

That's a great post. I haven't read that story, but I will. Thank you. XO

Rachel said...

That was just what I needed when today at work people are driving me! Love that book, I really should read it again.